Monday, May 11, 2009

Final Map


In recent years the threat of wildfires encroaching on human populations has grown dramatically. This zone where the wilds of the environment and people interact is known as the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI). In fire science it is essential to look at historical fire records in order gain an understanding of how fire interacts with its environment over space. In my map I have laid out a dot map of Idaho populations over a map of historical fires on Bureau of Land Management lands. My intention is to show the increasing potential for large fires, in fast moving fuels, to detrimentally effect human populations.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Grange:
    I don't know if this is within the scope of your research, but how do increased populations with decreased population densities effect the frequency with which fires come into contact with people?
    I have this totally wild, absolutely no information opinion (no faith in myself) that part of the reason why fires have such a major effect in areas such as southern California is that people are concentrated in such loose numbers over such a large area. I mean, there are a shit ton of people down there, but given the area, they're not densely packed. Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Morgan

    I couldn't tell you based on the data I have gathered. The general population and population density seem to correlate in all the data I have looked at. My guess would be that densities are increasing just not as dramatically as the more urban centers. In my opinion the problem, with southern California for example, are the sheer number of people who have placed homes in areas prone to the fires. I mean, think about the population density of Idaho forests in comparison to Cal. Off topic, Congrats Morgan on you marriage!

    ReplyDelete